It was clear to us that there was a need for this type of resource in post-primary schools across the country – a resource that would make both young people and teachers aware of the great opportunities that are available for those that are interested in a career with or through the medium of Irish. Our goal was to provide information on a variety of careers and to provide guidance on how to to take advantage of these great opportunities.
We worked alongside other organisations and the support we received from all of them throughout the project was amazing. We are very proud of the result of the works, and we are sure that students and teachers (guidance counselors, transition year coordinators, Irish teachers, principals and whole school communities) will benefit and enjoy what they have top learn from the information pack.
As we now undertake the next steps in this work, we have set out a plan for the coming school year:
- The pack is being sent out to all T1 schools at the moment and a digital version is available at COGG | Sonraí Acmhainní (tairseachcogg.ie)
- Tomás Ó Síocháin, Príomhfheidhmeannach Údarás na Gaeltachta, will lauch the information pack on the 26 September at the Options West Career Fair, Galway.
- A continuing professional development meetings will be held for teachers/guidance counselors between November/December 2023
- For the first time COGG will have a stand at Higher Options in the RDS (An Cheathrú Ghaeltachta) on the 20-22 September and at Options West, Galway on the 26 September.
- We hope to have a stand at the IGC (Institute of Guidance Counsellors) annual confernce in March 2024.
- A billingual version will be developed which will be more aimed at T2 schools.
- A series of videos will be developed to support the resource.
If you have any questions or would like more information or of course if extra copies are needed please feel free to contact me at: [email protected].
Le gach dea-ghuí,
Aoife Ní Shéaghdha, Oifigeach Oideachais Iar-bhunscoile, COGG